Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Calculator Dependency? Math 1512 Post #6

Calculator dependency has been a topic of discussion throughout my math courses. Should or shouldn't the use of calculators be allowed in elementary schools? Are students becoming too dependent on using calculators to solve their math problems? Are calculators a good or a bad thing? So many problems that a basic calculator can't solve! I will be the first to admit that over the years I have become a little dependent on the use of the calculator. I use it all the time. There are even times that I catch myself punching in a very simple math problem and then realizing that I already know the answer to the problem without the use of the calculator. I have found that my math facts do not come to my mind as fast as they should, and my first thought is to reach for my calculator.

I came across an article about calculator use called Using Calculator in Elementary Math Teaching. This article brings me back to the question, are calculators a good or a bad thing? According to the article calculators are not bad or good, the are just a tool. So then we need to look at another question, are calculators a tool that are benefiting or hurting our students? I personally feel that it is a bit of both, I feel that it is hurting and benefiting our students at the same time. 
The truth is that the calculator is a tool that all students need to know how to work. However, students also need to know how to work out a lot of the problem with a basic pencil and paper. A calculator can be a great tool in the classroom, but it needs to be used appropriately. Students need to know how to do the work with their own brains and not always rely on the calculator to do the work for them. The use of a calculator in elementary school should be limited, but there is still a place for its use. By only allowing use at certain times and making sure the students know how to solve the problems on there own can help to create a good balance in the classroom. You do not want your students to become dependent on the use of a calculator for everything. Exercise your mind! 

No comments:

Post a Comment